The LIFE Programme is a financial instrument managed and financed by The European Commission. It is the largest European financial mechanism, supporting environmental, nature conservation and climate action projects throughout the EU.
The goal of the LIFE programme for the 2014 to 2020 funding period is to contribute to sustainable development and to the achievement of objectives and targets of the Europe 2020 Strategy, the 7th Union Environmental Action Programme and other relevant EU environment and climate strategies and plans.
The objective of LIFE Nature projects is to contribute to the development and implementation of EU policy and legislation in the field of nature and biodiversity. Co-financed projects must have a European added value and must be compliant with environmental measures which can be financed from other EU funds for the 2014 to 2020 funding period.
Notranjska Regional Park had an opportunity to obtain funds from the LIFE financial instrument exclusively due to the presence of Natura 2000 sites and Natura 2000 species in the park.
Priority area LIFE Nature and Biodiversity focuses on:
- development and implementation of EU policy and legislation in the field of nature and biodiversity in accordance with the EU Biodiversity Strategy to 2020 and the Birds and Habitats Directives;
- supporting further development, implementation and management of the Natura 2000 network;
- improving knowledge in the area of development, implementation, assessment, monitoring and evaluation of EU policies and legislation in the field of nature and biodiversity, as well as in the area of assessment and monitoring factors, pressures and responses that have an impact on nature and biodiversity.
Thematic priorities for nature are activities implementing the Habitats and Birds Directives, namely:
- activities improving the conservation status of priority habitats and species of EU importance, including coastal and marine;
- activities supporting the Natura 2000 network bio-geographical seminars;
- integrated approaches to the implementation of prioritised action framework (PAF).