Photo by: Jošt Stergaršek
RENATURATION OF THE WATERCOURSE STRŽEN
- In the scope of the project, we will fill up the channel, which has been dug with the goal of cutting off the flow of water to the natural course of Stržen. This project intervention will restore the riverbed into its original double meander;
- Stržen watercourse will be extended by 1,5 km;
- water will remain in the area for longer periods of time;
- during dry season, this will increase the chances of survival of water-related organisms, such as crustaceans, fish, amphibians, birds, as well as aquatic and riparian plants;
- renaturation will contribute to a more effective natural water purification;
- we are restoring a part of Cerknica Lake to the state it was in before human intervention;
- with this project, we are improving the conservation status of Natura 2000 priority habitat type Turloughs on the largest intermittent lake in Europe.
REDUCING VISITOR PRESSURE TO THE MOST SENSITIVE AREAS OF THE LAKE AND PRIVATE LANDS
- We will build infrastructure, which will engage and educate visitors;
- the infrastructure will be placed on the outskirts of Cerknica Lake;
- it will reduce visitor pressure to private lands, managed by farmers, and
- redirect visitors to parts of the lake where recreational activities have the least harmful effect on the typical and endangered species of animals and plants in this incredible region.
IMPROVING THE HABITAT OF THE BITTERN – AN ENDANGERED SPECIES OF BIRD
- We will establish a quiet zone for the bittern and improve the living conditions of this mysterious wading bird in the immediate surroundings of the restored watercourse Stržen;
- one specimen of the bird will be captured and equipped with a GPS tracker, which will enable us to track its movement;
- this will help us learn where the bittern most often moves, what living conditions it prefers, how far and when it migrates, and when it returns to Cerknica Lake from its migration;
- based on the acquired data we will determine the most appropriate area for the establishment of a quiet zone.